Monday 12 May 2014

As I begin the next phase of my journey through the PID Program with VCC, I am involved in learning about instructional strategies.

Through the early reading assignments from Student Engagement Techniques by Elizabeth F. Barkley, I am finding a personal relevance to this particular topic. Many of the examples and explanations presented are ones that I wish I was aware of much earlier in my parenting days. In the simplest of terms, I might have been a better teacher and facilitator with my perpetual students, my own children.

One of my favourite concepts centers on student engagement and its role in learning. Barkley comments that learning can occur without teaching, but teaching without learning is just talking. I think I spent too much time just talking to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment